The Global Cyber Alliance (GCA) is an international, cross-sector effort designed to confront, address, and prevent malicious cyber activity. We achieve our mission by uniting global communities, implementing concrete solutions, and measuring the effect.
GCA is looking for a Director of Software Engineering and Development to lead and manage the day-to-day operations of a team of software development professionals, as well as out-sourced development and Open Source Software (OSS) engagements. Reporting to the Global Technical Officer (GTO), the Director will manage all of the operational aspects of the software development teams to ensure business and product/project objectives are met and partner with product owners and business partners to do so. The Director will provide people, administrative, and process leadership for multiple, diverse teams. As a member of the software development team, the Director is responsible for the coaching, mentoring, managing, and leading the talent within an agile environment.
Job Functions, Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recruit, retain, develop, and mentor high performing engineers within the GCA team, as well as external contract development
- Encourage strong engineering practices and maintainable software
- Provide leadership of software developers (in-house), outsourced development, and OSS engagements
- Coach and mentor software developers, develop skills, provide continuous feedback
- Provide regular reports, high-level timelines, roadmaps, and resource leveling/requirements to the GTO
- Apply excellent knowledge of software development design and experience with agile development methodologies
- Ensure projects are completed on time and according to our quality standards
Experience, Skills, Knowledge Requirements:
- Degree or equivalent demonstrated experience in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Systems Engineering, or within the software development field. A master’s degree is appreciated.
- Demonstrate strong organizational, leadership, decision making and communication skills
- Passion for people management, and experience (minimum of 5+ years’) managing software developer teams
- At least 3-5 years of experience as a software developer, quality assurance professional, and/or architect at some point in career
- At least 2 years’ experience with Agile processes (Scrum, XP, Lean, etc.)
- Strong technical acumen; creativity; interpersonal skills; emotional intelligence
- Broad understanding of various cloud development technologies and trends; developer preferences and challenges
- Experience and good understanding of designing scalable, distributed systems for running scalable solutions
- Experience managing external development contracts
- Experience with open, collaborative Open Source Software development projects
- Experience making good decisions around technical, infrastructure debt, and working with legacy code
- Ability to engage and motivate staff
We work as a geographically distributed team with people in many locations. This position is remote. Communication and project management tools including Slack, Google Meet and Asana are frequently used.
Flex-time available, atypical work hours may be necessary if outside of US Eastern time zone.
Occasional travel may be required for meetings.
Compensation is commensurate with experience.
GCA does not sponsor visas, and candidates are expected to be able to work legally in the country of employment.
GCA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minority, veteran and disabled candidates are encouraged to apply.